Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Top 10 TV Countdown - #8: MERLIN

"Could somebody tell me what happened?" -- Uther
"Well..." -- Merlin
"Someone with a brain." -- Uther

This series is a wonderful take on the Arthurian mythology, focusing on Merlin and Arthur as young men. The first season was good, and the next ones just get better and better. The interesting twist to this version is that magic is outlawed in Camelot by Arthur's father Uther, so Merlin has to hide his particular talents right under the nose of the ruler, as he is Arthur's personal servant.

This show is often funny, and the chemistry between Arthur and Merlin is entertaining to watch, as they like to insult each other frequently. Every episode is an adventure in itself, which I appreciate because I don't like cliffhangers (though there are a few two-part episodes that are the exception to this).

I do have a few problems with the show; firstly, the writers really like to drag things out. For example, Merlin's secret of being able to do magic. I can't wait until this is unveiled to everyone, particularly to Arthur, and I hope it is not at the very end of the series that they do so. Secondly, the plot is often predictable, but I can live with that.

What I love about this show is how clean it is. There's no sex or swearing. That is hard to find these days. I can watch this show with a young teenager (maybe not younger because there is a bit of violence) or my parents, and not have to zip through uncomfortable parts. And it's just so darn entertaining. BBC, you've done it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment