Thursday, January 12, 2012

TOP 10 TV Countdown - #1: DOCTOR WHO

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff." 
-- the 10th Doctor

You guessed it. Doctor Who gets the number 1 spot in my countdown, for oh so many reasons.

If you are not familiar with the show, Doctor Who is about a time traveler who calls himself the Doctor. He travels to different planets and times in his time machine/spaceship called the TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension in Space), watching over the time vortex and saving worlds from disaster. In his travels he has made great friends and great enemies. Though he doesn't look it, he is very old. He is also very lonely, so he brings along companions to travel with him.

I am a relatively new Doctor Who fan. I started watching the new series (the 9th Doctor) with my dad when I was still in high school and it was airing on CBC. I had never heard of the show before. I was immediately captivated by the wonderful story lines, the loveable characters, the terrifying villains, and the mysterious Doctor.

Time travel is difficult to do well, but I assert that Doctor Who does do it well. A whole race of extinct time lords whose job was to watch over the time vortex is an intriguing idea. That the Doctor is the last surviving member of this race makes him all the more special.

I love that the Doctor can regenerate. This is a neat trick thought up by the show's creators that allows it to last for years and years, as Doctor Who doesn't rely on a sole actor to carry it. Though I was a little sad about this with the passing of the 10th Doctor, who has been my favourite so far. I am enjoying the twists and turns of the new series, the Doctor's quirkiness, Amy's brashness and Rory's awesomeness, but I still miss the flavour of series 1-4, which was very different. Oh well, that's what DVD re-watching is for.

Are you a fan of Doctor Who? Who's your Doctor? Do you have a favourite companion or favourite enemy? Do share in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. I totally love Doctor Who! Was just gushing about it on FB last night... and no, I'm most definitely not wearing a Doctor Who T-shirt... It's a tie for me between #9 and #10 for favorite Doctor... and I think I like Rose the best and Donna second best for companions... and the Weeping Angels are by far the best bad guys... Blink was a GREAT episode.

    Ok... gushing again... I'll let it go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Who is definitely my favorite show on TV right now. I kept seeing people talk about and make references to Dr. Who online, so when I figured out that I got BBC America, and that I could watch it for myself, I figured I should give it a shot.

    I started watching when it was the 10th Doctor and Rose, so David Tenant will always be the real Dr. Who, for me. The 9th Doctor was ok, but I’m still undecided about the 11th. I really like Amy, Rory and River Song, but I just don’t think that I can fully support this iteration of the Doctor. Part of it is because he killed off the 10th Doctor, but the rest of it is that he’s forcing everyone else to deal with his problems. I don’t want to mention any plot lines, in case people haven’t seen all of this season yet, but there have been a few points where I was legitimately angry with the Doctor (alright, I guess I was angry with the writers, but still). I’ll reserve final judgment until I see how this story arc plays out, but he’s still going to have to overcome the fact that he replaced my Doctor.
    The scariest enemy to me, has to be the Cyber Men. I love technology, but I’ve always had a fear of cyborgs. Something about the subversion of someone’s humanity into a machine, or even worse, being trapped inside a machine, and having your free will stripped away, just creeps me out.

    I’ve liked all of the companions. I’d say Martha Jones was probably the best match for the Doctor though. Those two made a formidable pair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fairbetty - I think the Weeping Angels are also my favourite bad guys. They are so creepy! I was glad to see them return in the newer series, though I still think the original episode is best. Donna is my favourite companion :)

    Andy - I'm glad you discovered it! I just love David Tennant - he did such a good job of making the Doctor seem old and wise and at the same time he was so much fun. I think I agree with you about the new Doctor--what I most noticed was his new acceptance for violence. The past Doctors seem to be much more passive, and this new role is very different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I saw the Doctor was when he was sprinting down a street in his blue suit and converse with a stressed out bride :) David Tennant was brilliant and I agree Martha Jones made a great partnership.

    ReplyDelete