Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Top 10 TV Countdown - #2: FIREFLY

"First rule of battle, little one... don't ever let them know where you are." -- Zoe
"WOO-HOO!! I'M RIGHT HERE! YOU WANT SOME O' ME?! YEAH YOU DO! COME ON! COME ON! AAAAAH! WOO-HOO!" -- Mal
"'Course, there're other schools of thought." -- Zoe

Cowboys. In. Space. Seriously, need I say more?

This is one of my favourite shows of all time. It's hilarious. It's sad. It's got drama, action, romance, mystery. It's sci-fi. I love, love, love the characters. 

Now, I hate it when people say "What? You haven't seen _______?? Well, you're just not a sci-fi fan until you have," because come on, you can't be expected to watch every single show under the sun. However, I am sorely tempted to say exactly that about this show, because it's so good. But I'll simply say that if you haven't seen this show, check it out, and you will probably love it.

Firefly follows a crew of travelers aboard a Firefly-class ship called Serenity as they travel to unknown regions of the galaxy, running from various agents and factions out to get them. Joss Whedon, the creator of Firefly, described the show as "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things."

I could spend paragraphs describing each of the awesome characters, but I'll let you discover them for yourself if you haven't already. I love the chemistry between them and Captain Mal's protectiveness over them as though they were a family.

I can only complain about two things in this show: 1) That it only lasted one season, and 2) The inclusion of Inara's character. She is the only one that I don't like, and I really think the show could have done without her. Her occupation as a "dignified" prostitute just makes me uncomfortable. However, she does provide a romantic interest for Mal, which is something.

Seen Firefly? Love it? Haven't seen it but want to? Do share your thoughts and feel free to commiserate on its short-livedness and celebrate the fact that it got a movie sequel.

8 comments:

  1. This was the most awesome show ever created! Still in mourning over its loss.
    And I've watched every episode at least twenty times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FIREFLY is one of my favorite shows, Sci.Fi. or otherwise. One of my most treasured possessions is an autographed movie poster of SERENITY by all but Zoe (sigh.) In fact, I have another one up for one of my prizes in my LEGEND OF VICTOR STANDISH CONTEST. I followed you over from Alex's blog. We are kindred spirits -- at least with FIREFLY! LOL. ROLAND

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex - I've watched them multiple times too. I was disappointed that certain mysteries in the show were left unexplained even in the movie sequel, and also baffled that they canceled the show!

    Roland - Nice to meet another Firefly fan! I would love to have the signatures of that cast--that is an awesome poster to own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love firefly, although I think Inara might be one of my favorite characters. I think she humanizes the Core planets. Without her you would have the alliance, and their examples in the show which clearly shows them to be the bad guys as the only real example of someone still affiliated with the alliance. Inara shows them to not be all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an idea what #1 will be, but I still can't wait to see what it is.

    As for Firefly/Serenity, i didn't get into them until several years after they got cancelled. The upside was that I got to watch all of them at once. The downside was that as each episode disappeared from my regrettably short queue, I knew that I was getting closer and closer to the permanent end of the show. It wasn't too bad at first, but about halfway through the episodes, that queue started to look awfully short.

    Also, I'm still bitter about Wash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara - Those are fair points. I don't mind her terribly as a character, I think it's just her job that turns me off.

    Andy - I'm glad you are looking forward to seeing what #1 is! I am wondering what you think it is. lol. I also only watched Firefly after it was cancelled, and felt the same as you. And I definitely share your feelings about Wash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has to be Doctor Who.

    You referenced Dr. Who earlier (I can't remember if it was in one of the main posts, or one of the underlying comments), so I know you're aware of it. I could understand if it was ranked somewhere other than #1, but for someone to have seen multiple episodes of Dr. Who and not have it ranked in the top ten would be a travesty.

    Since there's only one spot left in your countdown, which I've enjoyed tremendously by the way, the #1 spot just about has to go to Dr. Who.

    I suppose you could go with something out of left field, like the original Twilight Zone, or even X-files, but I'm sticking with my prediction of Dr. Who in the #1 spot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guessed it, Andy :D I'm so glad you are enjoying my countdown! I started it pretty much just for myself as I didn't have any followers at the time and I like to make lists... so it is nice to know that others are enjoying it.

    Stay tuned for a post in a few days about shows that didn't make it into my countdown (Twilight Zone and X-files among them) and why they didn't.

    ReplyDelete