Friday, June 8, 2012

Top 10 VG Countdown - #4: WARCRAFT III


No, I do not mean World of Warcraft, I mean the lesser known and much more awesome Warcraft III. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos is a real-time strategy game released by Blizzard in 2002. An expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, was released in 2003. It is probably my favourite game for LANing with friends, and because it is older, most computers and slower internets can handle it without lagging.

The game has four playable races, and they are each unique with their own strengths. They are human, orc, undead, and night elf. In multiplayer, you set up a base and pump out troops with the objective of destroying your enemy's army and base. You collect three resources to build your base and buy troops: gold, lumber, and food. You also hire heroes to lead your troops into battle, and each race has four unique heroes to choose from.

The fun thing about Warcraft is learning your race and what it can do. You can develop strategies according to your troops or hero abilities. What happens with me and my friends is that one of us will come up with a new strategy that will destroy the other, and then the defeated party will figure out a way to combat that strategy (sometimes by cheating and googling the solution), and it all begins again.

The campaign is also very fun with an interesting story that continues in Frozen Throne. It is a good place to start if you are just learning the game, because it teaches you how to use all four of the races slowly, so you won't be overwhelmed. The first couple levels introduce you to your hero and units, the next level will show you how to build a few basic buildings, and so on.

If you like real-time strategy games similar to Age of Empires or Starcraft, try this one out.



There is also still time to enter my giveaway to win a book by Terry Brooks! I will be drawing the winner tonight. Enter by commenting on the post below.

10 comments:

  1. I love Age of Empires but I've never tried Warcraft 3, I remember my brother and sister playing it though. Maybe I should give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Warcraft III better than Age of Empires because you get a hero and the races are very different from each other, but Ages is quite fun too.

      Delete
  2. I was very late to the Warcraft party, but what I played of Warcraft III was good. I never got WoW though; it seemed like too much of a drain on money, energy and social interaction to be worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on all counts! Hence why I do not play WoW.

      Delete
  3. I was addicted to Warcraft when it first came out years ago. I love strategy games. Zug, zug! I've never played World of Warcraft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strategy is a lot of fun! I've never played WoW either.

      Delete
    2. WoW can get pretty repetitive. All the quests are basically the same button smashing quests. I have never played Warcraft III but have played similar RTS games. I find they offer more of a challenge.

      Delete
  4. I think I had a demo, but then I found Age of Empires II & Age of Mythology and played them out (thrice on several computers). Then I got hooked on Runescape and well ... got my other half hooked on it too. ^_^

    I never played out the first Age of Empires, though ... I wonder where I put the box.

    ReplyDelete