Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Childhood Monster

Bristling, brown fur. Sharp claws. A feral snarl. He creeps up on you silently when you're not paying attention, because you are focused on your play. His paws are so quiet on the grass you don't notice until he is upon you. His name is Rover.

"Rover's gonna get you if you go out into the woods alone, Alli," my brother used to say.

I'm not sure if he did this so that I wouldn't get lost by myself, or because he enjoyed the look of wide-eyed fear that crossed my face when he said it. I probably had more nightmares about that wolf than any other scary creature I might have dreamed up! They were those kind where you are safe if you can just get into the house before he catches you, but you can't move faster than someone slogging through chest-deep mud. Don't you just hate those?




This post is part of Christine Rains' blogfest that she is hosting from August 7 to 9 to celebrate the release of her paranormal romance novella, Fearless. Congratulations on the release, Christine! Check out her blog for information on Fearless or go here to read about other bloggers' childhood monsters! What was yours?

23 comments:

  1. Wolves are terrifying. Even to adults. Those monsters STILL haunt my nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think wolves are pretty cool, now! But they can be terrifying too, it's true.

      Delete
  2. Brothers have a certain way of amping up even the most benign scenarios don't they? -But one involving a wolf, yeah, I could see how terrifying that could be, for sure!

    Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife has a thing about wolves and werewolves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like wolves. Werewolves, not so much, just because they have been overdone these days.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like something one of my brothers would do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad there aren't any woods too near to me; that's exactly the kind of thing I would have been told as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there ARE actually wolves around here sometimes, so I suppose it was a legitimate threat. Though we had a dog so they wouldn't come close to the house. It did keep me from wandering off too far by myself, I suppose!

      Delete
  6. My sister was afraid of wolves growing up. when the dryer and washing machine would bounce around downstairs, she thought the wolves jumped from one to the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that would keep her from doing laundry!

      Delete
  7. I like wolves. Always did. Maybe a result of my parents reading "Lambert the sheepish Lion" too many times. Lambert was a lion, but in the pictures he looked wolfish. Or maybe because I liked the wolf in "the boy who cried wolf." Cause or effect? No telling at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Lambert! That used to be one of my favourites.

      Delete
  8. You know, Rover didn't seem like a frightening name until I read this! Thanks for sharing your monster and for helping promote my novella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. I guess it would be a cute name, otherwise.

      Delete
  9. Brothers! They can be a real pain, can't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can, but I wouldn't trade 'em for the world :)

      Delete
  10. I was lucky my brother shared my fear. He may have been the one afraid first and then I caught.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wolf named Rover. You could write a book about it--sounds like a catchy title :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wolves are definitely powerful animals!

    Rover does sound like book material. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that he was named Rover! Darn brother! I was the oldest, so it was my job to scare everyone else.

    My monster: http://thewarriormuse.blogspot.com/2012/08/childhood-monster-blog-fest.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was so mean of your brother!
    And I hate those dreams where you just. can't. run!

    ReplyDelete