Saturday, June 15, 2013

Video Game Review: SKYWARD SWORD

Platform: Wii
Series: Legend of Zelda
Released: 2011

Many of you already know that Ocarina of Time is one of my favourite games of all time, Majora's Mask not far behind, and that I love the Zelda series. So it was with excitement that I put the disc into my Wii and began playing many months ago.

When you begin the game, you are introduced to Link's new home of Skyloft, which was new and interesting--plus, Link gets to ride around on his big red bird, a Loftwing, which is pretty fun.

Skyward Sword stays true to the Zelda formula, introducing the villain who forces Zelda to go on the run and Link, the foretold hero who will save Hyrule. Link proceeds to undergo a series of dungeons and tasks while chasing after Zelda, who he never quite catches up to.

There are three regions of Hyrule to explore on the land below Skyloft, and instead of moving on to new places once he's finished their dungeons, Link keeps returning to those regions and as the story progresses, they expand.

Link is also accompanied by the spirit of his sword, Fi, who is sometimes almost as annoying as Navi. I know my Wii remote batteries are low, Fi, quit telling me! I know my hearts are low, Fi, that's what the annoying beeping is for! Oh well, she does have a useful dowsing ability that allows you to find certain objects.

The puzzle-solving element is why I love the Zelda games so much, and Skyward Sword does not disappoint. The dungeons were a lot of fun. The bosses all had their interesting tricks to beat them using the newest item you'd found. The story was nothing new, but I wasn't expecting to be blown away by it. The Wii remote controls were also super fun to use.

Warning: This game goes on forever. I kept thinking that I was near the end, and then I'd get thrown another task to do. Think you're on your way to see Zelda? Think again! You have to save this flying whale. Oh wait, you saved him? Well now you have to collect four pieces of a song. Done that? Time to collect the pieces of the triforce! This game will tease you with hints of victory and then dance away out of reach time and again.

That being said, it was a lot of fun, and I highly recommend for a very enjoyable playing experience. It's no Ocarina of Time, but it's a welcome addition to the Zelda franchise!

Gameplay: 8.5/10
Story: 6/10
Graphics: 7/10
Music: 7.5/10
Overall fun rating: 7.5/10

4 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. I've been meaning to introduce my kids to Zelda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the Zelda series back in the day. Don't have a WII though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not played a Zelda game since the first one. This looks cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed Swyward Sword when I played it, though it doesn't hit the same notes that Twilight Princess hit (and let's face it, nothing could match up to Ocarina of Time). Still, it was an enjoyable Zelda game :)

    ReplyDelete